Pony

 


Pony 

The debut album of country artist Orville Peck, Pony was released in 2019. Country music has a certain reputation, people will often view it as promoting a narrow worldview. This was a very unique listening experience to me because this is a genre that I don’t particularly like. Nothing against it but I haven’t connected to it as much as I would like. Pony made me realize that I just wasn’t listening to the right artists. Peck produces a more of an alternative genre of country music, featuring elements of goth, shoegaze, and indie rock. This was a new spin on a genre I have neglected previously, so this reimagining was a pleasant surprise. 


His main trademark is that he wears a fringe mask, giving him a bit of mystique. I really enjoy his gimmick though I can understand if it's not for everybody. His take on the genre sets the mood quite well, being a pretty cohesive album. The traditional country music fan is usually depicted as having more conservative values but Peck reaches an audience that extends beyond that, opening up the genre to a wider audience. 


Dead Of Night has a cinematic quality to it that really drew me in. I can just as easily see it being the credit song to a western film. His vocal range is really impressive, there is no doubt why this is one of the most popular songs on the album. This track paints a picture of unrequited love and the act of devoting all of yourself to the one person you can’t have. He’s questioning his decision, unsure if he should keep up this act that’s only bringing him pain. He has the desire to escape into the darkness of the night, forever closing that chapter of his life. Instead, he stays grappling with the fact his feelings won’t be returned. This was a very interesting perspective to hear that I’m positive many people can intimately connect to. Winds Change is a theatrical work of art. He places great focus on the passage of time, lamenting over what could have been. Here he still searches for a little hope, despite the despair that overtakes him. Peck provides a more somber glance at the character archetype of the cowboy. His lyrics often depict the personal heartbreak that occurs on the path to fame. 


In a style that I can only describe as country gospel, Queen Of The Radio is about a drag queen that Peck admires. Many describe his style of performance as a form of drag and I’m inclined to agree. He leans into the stronger, more masculine stereotypes of playing this cowboy character, akin to a drag king. A lot of the deeper themes of Pony come from his identity as an openly gay man. This is an unapologetic subversion of what people come to expect from the genre. 


Kansas (Remembers Me Now) is tragic and captivating. The vocals are lower and haunting, the lyrics detailing the tragedy of the Clutter family murders. The fizzling out sounds of the outro gives a nostalgic feel to the track. Take You Back (The Iron Hoof Cattle Call) takes the listener back to the old school sound that classic country music contains. The bassline is incredible and was very reminiscent of Johnny Cash. I found the use of whip sound effects admittedly cheesy but it was still a bit endearing. In Hope To Die Peck’s vocals are the strongest. The song is as raw as it is sincere, begging the object of his affection to take him back. He’s yearning to reconcile, promising his undying commitment as he feels incomplete without them. He’s almost blinded by the nostalgia and intense emotions of the person he loves. 


The media tends to paint country music as a close-minded genre but with such a queer figure like Orville Peck, his music is able to break down walls and give others a voice. There is so much raw talent present in this album it has inspired me to seek out more artists like this. This authenticity he presents with his storytelling makes Pony such a uniquely beautiful album. 


Comments

  1. Oooo, I love this! I have the same thoughts on country, as it's not a genre I generally listen too, but I definitely need to give Peck a listen some time! I do love his look, as it helps him further stand out from the country genre norm.

    My guilty pleasure favorite artist, Yung Gravy, just released a country inspired album in August titled "Serving Country." Like Peck's album for you, his album made me realize that there is country music out there that I would thoroughly enjoy. It's goofy, but maybe give it a listen as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

…Like Clockwork

Good God!

Kids See Ghosts