…Like Clockwork

 



...Like Clockwork


Since launching the band in 1998, Queens of the Stone Age has made incredible music that defined a whole genre of rock. The lead singer Josh Homme would release their sixth studio album in 2013. This album went on to have a huge impact on the band, being their most acclaimed album since Songs for the Deaf. What sets this album apart from the previous ones is that it was heavily influenced by singer Josh Homme’s brush with death. After a knee surgery gone wrong, he was pronounced dead for several minutes. With such an intense backstory, it sets up this album to be one of their most personal yet. I have always admired the band's dedication to try new styles with each release and this album is no exception. Homme has built quite the lineup of guest artists for this album, featuring the talents of: Elton John, Trent Reznor, Jake Shears, and returning sticksman Dave Grohl. …Like Clockwork puts you through the journey of a lost soul, trying to regain his sense of self that was stolen from him. 

Josh Homme’s lyricism shines in a way that differs from previous albums. From the first track, Keep Your Eyes Peeled, the tone of the album is made explicitly clear. While not the strongest opener in their discography, the dark bass sounds and chilling lyrics have certainly grown on me. The atmospheric unease of the guitar tones are immaculate. Each song contains an air of intensity that serves the album well, the many layers of depth that contribute to the consistent feel when played in its entirety. 


The tone of the album is quickly offset by the upbeat sounds of tracks such as If I Had A Tail and Smooth Sailing. The latter track especially is incredible. Not only is it a catchy banger but the lyrics really stand out. I interpret the message as all the time spent dwelling on past mistakes will ultimately become obsolete when looking at the bigger picture. With lines like: If reason is priceless there's no reason to pay for it, he challenges the status quo, saying that there are many superficial qualities of society and how you shouldn’t conform to it. 


The album’s lead single My God is the Sun is the band at their best. Homme’s vocal performance on this track is very strong, there’s so much passion present in every line it is easily the song I’ve listened to the most. Even the tracks that may fade into the background have had a profound impact on me. Kalopsia, the title originating from a term that refers to the delusion that things are more beautiful than how they appear, undoubtedly has Trent Reznor’s influence all over it. Gentle, melodic tones alternating between harsher intense ones is a distinctly unique choice that I like. I really enjoy the themes explored in this song. I had unfortunately overlooked it during my first listen but after revisiting it much later I have come to really appreciate it. 


Unmistakably the strongest track (and my favorite!), I Appear Missing is a reflection of the loss Homme experienced after coming back from the dead. In this power ballad, he bears his soul on what it felt like to be on the edge of life and death. The slow buildup coming to a head in an impactful solo shows just how good the production is. I would consider this track to be their magnum opus, truly unlike anything I have heard before. I find this song and like Clockwork to be the most chilling, the devastating themes of helplessness that permeated the entire album finally comes to a conclusion. 

The vulnerability shown in many of these songs feels like a subversion of what people come to expect from the genre. It's the quality that really sets Queens of the Stone Age apart from other bands. I see this album as an inspiration, using pain and suffering to create works of art in order to move forward. I feel that giving it the relatability to anyone who has suffered a loss, makes it all the more special. While I enjoy each album produced by qotsa, …Like Clockwork fully encapsulates everything I love about the band.

Comments

  1. Wow... I've never heard of this band, but reading this review has intrigued me. I'm also very passionate about vinyl (I've unfortunately spent way too much money in a short period of time), and I'm always looking for more to listen to. I especially like when albums manage to tell a story across every song; It makes it that much more beautiful to listen to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good God!

Kids See Ghosts