Disappear Here

 


Disappear Here


Bad Suns released their sophomore indie rock album, Disappear Here in 2016. This is another band that I have no knowledge of so I was pretty excited to give it a try. I enjoy getting to listen to something entirely new, leaving it up to me to form my own opinions without any preconceived notions or expectations of the band. Bad Suns is clearly influenced by ‘70s and ‘80s music as those elements are present in many of their songs. Disappear Here has a certain level of polish, making it a well refined album about the varying degrees of how love and heartbreak can impact you. 


The title track, Disappear Here is a great opening that sets the tone for the rest of the album. The strong vocals and dynamic instrumental made me excited for what’s to come. The song explores themes of longing and the uncertainty of relationships. He entertains the conflicting feelings regarding if he should give their love another chance or let them ‘disappear here’. He wants to escape the constricting beliefs of his own expectations of love. They fully capture the complexities of a relationship that is beginning to fade. Upon relistening to all of the tracks I found this one to be my favorite, the lyrics are beautifully written and has a strong guitar melody. 


Off She Goes begins with an emotional opening riff in the minor key. From the bridge leading into a vibrant chorus, this track pulls on my heartstrings. The blend of instruments makes for a really unique arrangement. The singer is faced with an overwhelming amount of self doubt, despite this the tone is optimistic, trying to empower those who feel similarly to pursue their dreams. It’s primarily about finding strength within yourself and fully embracing it. I’ve seen others view this song as a weaker track but I strongly disagree. Love Like Revenge instantly showcases their ‘80s influence with the heavy use of synthesizers. The intricate melody in the back adds to the dimension of the song. He is open with his desire to reconnect with a past lover despite knowing that it won’t end well. He’s pleading with himself but he’s well aware of the toxicity his lover has. 


Swimming in the Moonlight is a sweet song of devotion, the singer finding comfort in the presence of their lover. Everything fades away as they enjoy the moment of solace between them. The singer emphasizes how they’ve dreamt about them, thankful for their deep connection. I found this one to be intensely sweet, having an excess of sentimental lyrics that are right up my alley. The atmospheric sounds of the guitar work contributed to the serene feel it had. Outskirts Of Paradise is a lovely song to close out the album. It depicts the experience of feeling lost and disconnected with the rest of the world. The desire to break away from societal expectations is clear as he wants to live life as an individual. The song almost serves as a call to action about seeking out personal fulfillment and self identity. 


The elements of this album come together very nicely. While I don’t feel like it is the most cohesive in terms of themes, I still really enjoyed listening to it as a collective album. I feel that each song has their moments and a couple of these will certainly make its way into one of my playlists. Disappear Here solidifies itself as a standout pop-rock album that delivers on everything I look for in the genre. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

…Like Clockwork

Good God!

Kids See Ghosts